As most moms I try to do my best to instill some basic principals of life to my everyday interactions with my daughter. She’s at an age where she’s had to deal with mean kids, and yet isn’t old enough to really understand how some of these interactions will truly shape who she will become as an adult. So I made a list of things that I want her to know and learn about herself and life in general. This is my ultimate guide of things to teach your daughter. I mean really it’s the same for all kids… but I only have a daughter. 🙂
Ultimate Guide of things to teach your daughter
- Do not ask questions if you are not ready to hear the real answers. If you don’t really want to know the answer to “Do you Love me?” if the answer is NO. Then you should not ask the question. Sometimes we think we are ready for those answers but we really are not.
- A Few best friends are better than lots of friends. Knowing who your friends are when you are going through your worst moments is so much more important than having a lot of friends who won’t truly support you when the going gets tough.
- Basic Budgeting – and sticking to it even when it sucks. Budgeting can suck, because I really WANT this thing I haven’t finished saving for… but in a year you will thank me for having self discipline when your car breaks down or your tv goes out and you have money set aside to fix it or repair it.
- Fighting is ok, it’s how you resolve it that determines how good of friends you are. If you’ve never had a fight with your boyfriend, or a girlfriend then you aren’t really as good of friends as you thought. Now obviously this doesn’t apply if you just met or just started dating, but at some point you are going to disagree. Disagreements are ok, and normal. How you resolve them and that you can resolve them determines what happens next.
- No one else is you… don’t let their opinions decide what you like. If you love to sit around and watch cartoons on Saturday or you love to watch that tv show from 3 years ago no one else liked. Those are totally ok things and you should do them. Don’t let others decide how you feel about something. Own your feelings, they are yours!
- There is always something new to learn. Even when you are 90 you will not know everything. Technology changes, people change, our world is ever evolving. Learn that you will never know everything.
- Don’t judge others, you don’t know what they have endured. It’s so easy to say – oh that person stinks or why don’t they just wash their hair, clothes, etc. BUT… you don’t know if they are going through a bad spot in life or if they are truly choosing to be or act that way. They may have a medical condition or they may need help.
- Your choices today may determine your future. Posting pictures, picking on others or just anything will stick around forever. If you post it, think it or say it assume everyone will forever be able to retrieve it.
- Being kind and respectful is more important than being popular. As the saying goes, stay humble and kind and help those behind you on the line. There is always someone who knows less than you, and if you see them struggling stop and help. You never know when someone will repay your kindness.
- Being beautiful on the outside may bring people to you, but being beautiful on the inside is what keeps them coming back to you.
Please feel free to contact me and if you agree with all or some of these please share!