It seems like it was forever ago but also like it was just yesterday. If it weren’t for the UFC fights the week after, I would have been there for the Route 91 festival when the shooting took place. I would have been in the crowd as Jason Aldean would have been one of the main acts I would have wanted to see.
Route 91 Shooting
Part of me changed the day of the with all the what ifs. Now Cheyenne will be going with me on the next trip at the end of the month. She knows of everything out there, she knows how close I was to being there at that time. Cheyenne has asked a lot of questions over the last several months, but even more recently about Las Vegas. A lot has changed in the 7 and a half years since she was there last.
Las Vegas Changes
The strange thing is the little things that have even changed in the last several months. I have been there eight times since the shooting, and you pick up on small things that you didn’t see before.
- I have noticed more secondary security throughout the casinos along with upgraded elevator security.
- Some of the higher end casinos always had a guard at the elevators.
- Now even some of the lower to mid-end casinos have either guards placed or at least working badge scans that lock the elevators down from going up without an active room key.
- You do see an increase in the cameras watching above if you look closely as you walk around The Strip.
- There seems to be more police presence on the street, and they are now more grouped together; it seems but never makes it feel like the area is unsafe.
They have been able to maintain that ‘free spirit’ attitude on the strip but also seems more secure as you look around and notice the small things.
At the age of six, Cheyenne wanted Bellagio Fountains and Mirage Volcano…Now at the age of 13, it is still those attractions, but now it also is the Las Vegas Sign and Mandalay Bay and the fence across the Route 91 festival grounds to pay her respects.