Lately, I started to hear about the Marie Kondo Cleaning phenomenon and decided I needed to watch this show on Netflix for myself. So I settled in for a comfy Saturday on the couch and thought to myself “I sure hope I can learn some Marie Kondo tips to help me.”
If you know me at all, you would realize I HATE cleaning. I don’t just dislike it; I full out hate it. Now I know it needs to be done, but it’s never been an enjoyable thing for me. Maybe learning some new cleaning tips will help energize me to finally tackle some of those unpacked boxes we have lying around the house.
Marie Kondo Tips
Clean in Categories
The very first of the Marie Kondo tips is to clean by category, not by location. Cleaning by category helps to establish a start and end to tidying. She believes you need to clean by this category order:
Tips for Tidying
Hold each item to see if it brings you joy. If you hold each thing and it doesn’t bring you joy then you should let it go or get rid of it. I have heard of something similar before by looking at something and deciding if it falls into one of three categories.
- Do you need it to make money?
- Do you need it because you use it every day?
- Or do you need it because you genuinely love it?
If an item doesn’t fall into one of these categories, then you get rid of it. Marie Kondo believes that if you concentrate on the subject, you will decide if you need it and if you don’t you can then get rid of it.
Other Marie Kondo Tips
While watching several episodes of Tidying Up with Marie Kondo on Netflix here are some cleaning tips I have picked up.
- Keep like sized items together
- Use tiny boxes to keep things organized
- Fold clothes into small squares
- Store things so you can see what you have
- When you have a lot of something put it in a big pile so you can see everything you have and make a better decision on if you need it all.
- Store decorations in boxes not in plastic bags.