Just so you know, We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. We have a full affiliate disclosure that you can find under here.
There are many advantages to budgeting. If you want to learn more about some of those pros check out our article 5 budget advantages to make you successful. To try and help make things easier for you we’ve created some FREE resources just for you! We really hope you enjoy our Free Budget and Expense Tracking printables.
How to make budgeting easy
- Consistency – This is probably the most important tip I can give you. However, being consistent will help you stick to your budget. As soon as you start to make excuses, you will give up on yourself. Don’t do that!
- Use an App – We put together an article about five apps that you can download to help you with your budget. Which one do you think would help you the most?
- Track Categories – I found that if I tracked every dollar I spent, I drove myself crazy. So instead I gave myself a category for misc items such as that random candy bar I needed at work. This way I could put money into that category without having to write down every cent used. However, some categories you need to track every line item. Use what works for you!
- Forgive yourself – You are going to make mistakes. Additionally, you are going to forget to write down something. However, don’t beat yourself up, correct it and move on.
- Be accountable – Some people will not follow through if they are the only ones who know what they are doing. Tell someone, make them ask you how you are doing. It’s harder to quit if someone is asking you about your progress.
- Understand your goal – If you haven’t picked out a reason for budgeting, you should do that now. If you take our Monthly Budget Blastoff course, you will get some great tips on how to set financial goals.
- Do what works for you – Just because a plan works for someone else doesn’t mean it’s right for you. Read and research, but ultimately you have to determine how to make your budget yours.
- Gets others on board – Parents, kids, significant others can dramatically impact your success. However, those who can influence you should be on board with your plan, or at least supportive of what you are doing.
- Reward yourself – As you achieve success with your budget find a small reward you can enjoy. In other words, your reward might be an afternoon alone. It’s way more motivating to work towards something that has some reward. Ask yourself, what is rewarding to you? How can you make that fit into your budget goals?
- Do NOT give up – We all get frustrated. We all want to give up. We are all cheering for you to not be like those who fail. Start and finish your budget each month, celebrate milestones, and don’t give up.
- Schedule Time – Everyday you need to schedule a time to update your budget. Either pay bills, update what you spent or plan out our next budget. No matter what you do, get in the habit of investing some time each day to your budget.
- Be Productive – Being busy and being productive are not the same. Above all, don’t over think things. Don’t get wrapped up in making your spreadsheet pretty or your budget perfect looking. Just get it down on paper so you can adjust, learn and fulfill your goals.
Monthly Budget Blastoff
As mentioned earlier in the article we have a course we call our Monthly Budget Blastoff that can help you with your budget needs. This course is great for helping you determine how to make budgeting easy, helping you set goals, and you can then figure out the basics of budgets. Additionally, you get a free budget spreadsheet! Check it out now!
Leave a Reply